Charter schools are independent legal entities governed by their own board of directors, and are excluded from many state statutes and rules. Charter schools receive public funds under a written contract - a charter - that outlines student performance goals and educational services the public charter school will provide.
The school district granting the charter monitors the charter school to assure that it:
• Meets the terms of the approved charter;
• Meets student performance requirements as determined in the approved charter;
• Maintains insurance as required in the charter agreement;
• Maintains financial stability;
• Corrects any violations of federal or state laws.
The Beaverton School Board has granted a charter to:
• Arco Iris Spanish Immersion School (grades 1-6): 503-473-0416, www.ArcoIrisSchool.org
• Hope Chinese Charter School (grades K-1): 971-226-7500, http://www.hopeccs.org