A Brief History
In a heavy old ledger at the Washington County ESD, there
are county school records written by hand with a steel pen point held
in a wooden handle. The writer had to dip the pen into an inkwell every
line or so. The entry, on page 274 of the District Boundary Record book
a petition now on file in this office
signed by a majority of the legal voters in Joint School Dist. No. 42,
Multnomah and Washington Counties, it is hereby ordered and determined
that the territory included within boundaries described as follows; to
Commencing at the N.E. corner of S.(1)
? (1)S.R. (1) W. thence South 3/4 of a mile, thence west 1 mile, thence
N. 1 mile thence E. 1 3/4 miles to place of beginning, shall constitute
a school district to be known as School District No. 67 of Washington
Granted under my hand this 10th day of
November A.D. 1884 at Middleton, Oregon.
T.T. Vincent, C. School Supt.
In accordance with petition, all that
portion of Dist. No. 57 lying north of Barnes Road, has been taken from
that district and added to Dist. No. 67.
March 2, 1894 , J.H. Stanley,School Supt.
In 1984, this charter was celebrated at West Tualatin View
Elementary School and marked exactly 100 years since the clerk wrote
the words that marked the formal beginning of our school.
Our school has had four locations and at least three names,
but the children attending it have always lived on approximately the
same land. In 1984, two students were "fourth-generation" - they had a
parent, grandparent, and a great-grandparent attend school here.
1884: A Log Cabin
Leahy Road Survey Map (from 1917), with a
star showing the location of the log cabin school on what is now S.W.
The oak tree on S.W. 83rd Ave, grown from an
acorn planted near the log cabin
The first location for school children in this area was a
log cabin on the John Johnson farm on Leahy Road, where we now call
Lori Heights. Alas, not very much is known about it: such as when it
was built, or how long it was a school, or how many students attended,
or who the teachers were. Most of the land in this area was farmland
and berry fields. The children in the vicinity would pick strawberries
during berry season and some referred to the Lori Heights area as
"Strawberry Hill". We do know that near the corner of the log cabin,
John Johnson planted an acorn. While the log cabin has been gone for a
long time, the oak tree still remains less than 100 yards up 83rd
Avenue from Leahy Road.
1888: A Real School Building
| Swedeville School,
Students and Teacher, circa 1900.
A "real" school building better than a log cabin was needed
however, so in 1888 one was built on Barnes Road across the road from
the present telephone company building. (If you drive straight out of
the driveway of Sylvan Heights apartments, and do not turn onto Barnes
Road, but go straight ahead, you would run into the site of "Swedeville
School".) It got this name because many people of Swedish ancestry had
settled the farms in the area along Barnes Road from Sylvan Cemetery to
The school had a white frame, and a bell in a belfry. It
had only one room and one teacher. The front door faced Barnes Road and
buggies could pull into its driveway. The playground was very hilly.
We're lucky enough to have a picture of it that includes some of its
students and a teacher.
At 8:30AM the teacher would pull a long rope and ring the
bell to warn children to hurry. School began at 9:00AM and ended at
3:00PM. Everyone brought a lunch and ate in the yard or inside in the
classroom if it rained. There were from 15-25 students each year, all
in one room, grades 1-8. They had eighth grade examinations and
graduation. At first, many students received no further education
because it was a long way to Beaverton, where the only area high school
1926: A New School With a View
Tualatin View School, at the corner of Leahy
and Barnes Road, circa
In 1926, more room was needed. A new stucco-and-frame school
was built a little farther down Barnes Road, and the Swedeville School
was torn down. The new one-room school was called Tualatin View,
perhaps because non-Swedish people had moved into the area -- it also
has a very nice view of the Tualatin Valley.
When it was first built, at a cost of $7,250, it had indoor
plumbing, a great improvement from the community water-bucket and
outdoor bathrooms (out-houses) at Swedeville School. The old belfry and
bell from Swedeville School were moved to the Tualatin View School. The
little school's room then held all eight grades and were handled by two
teachers, one of whom served as principal. Later, the school was
remodeled making two small classrooms, hallway, plus cloak-room closet.
TV School Classroom, 1965
As the population increased, it was necessary to bus the 7th
and 8th graders clear over to the Barnes school, located on Walker
Road. In 1948, TV school became too small to handle the ever increasing
number of students, so it was consolidated with Barnes District 57 and
became a primary school with upper grade students attending Cedar Hills
or Barnes school. In 1958, the TV School building was leased for a year
to the Catlin Gabel School to use as a pre-school, and the TV students
were moved to West TV. In 1960, first graders were again schooled at TV
school while the upper graders went to West TV. Mrs. Clara Sehorn and
Mrs. Anne Stark taught the last two classes of 22 and 23 first-graders
at the little school in the summer of 1965. Beaverton School District
48 discontinued use of the two-room Tualatin View School at the end of
the 1965 school year.
Tualatin View School Building now used by
the Oregon College of Art and Craft, January
In 1970, the old-fashioned bell on top of the building was
still in operating condition and could still be run by pulling the
rope. Alas, today the building no longer has a belfry and the location
of the bell remains a mystery to be solved.
The building was later occupied by the West Haven Bible
church until the 1990's when it was sold to its current occupant, the
Oregon College of Art and Craft. Today in 2002, the trees planted on
each side of the door have grown taller and the old TV school is still
looking pretty good.
1955: Our Current Location
Original West TV School building as viewed
from Leahy Road, August
Back in 1955 , another school was built further down Leahy
Road by the (then) Barnes School District , and named West Tualatin
View School to preserve the previous school's name. The 7.2 acres of
property was acquired from a Mr. Keyes. His home sat about in the
middle of our present school property and the land was covered by
schools were initially run independently, and each had its own
principal. TV school was used solely for the 1st grade and West TV held
the 2nd through 6th grade classes. While West TV was built at our
school's current location, it was only a small part of what we have
today. The original school's rooms were those down "short hall": A102,
A118, A120, A122, and what is now the Teacher's room, but was then a
classroom that was later divided into the smaller rooms we use today.)
The original building (shown here in a picture taken in 1957 from
Barnes Road) also included a boiler room and a big bare basement area.
Before we had a cafeteria or a gym, some mothers felt it would be good
to serve a hot lunch once a week, and the weekly "hot dog" sale began.
As the community population continued to grow, so also did
the school. Plans were drawn up and bond issues were eventually passed
to allow extensive construction and landscaping improvements to start.
Expansion planning drawing showing original
building, proposed room, gym, and breezeway additions and landscaping
improvements for ball field and paved parking and play areas, and
future classroom addition, May 1958
On March 6, 1958, corners were staked out marking the
beginning of the construction for many of the school areas we know
today: room A101, the school office and small isolation health room,
the gym with a covered connecting breezeway , and the "main hall" rooms
down to the bathrooms. One of the original six classrooms was also
converted into the teachers lounge and work room we have today. Here's
a picture taken in May 1958 showing construction underway for these
additional classrooms and what they called a ""multi-purpose room""
(and we now call the Gym). There was also extensive earth moving and
grading done to provide playfields and parking areas.
West TV School ""long hallway", offices,
breezeway, and gym under construction, May 1958
Also in 1958, the basketball standards were installed in an area
leveled and paved for playing basketball and the baseball diamond got a
"little league quality" backstop. The West TV School erosion and
beautification plans were completed when 200 Port Ordford cedars were
received from the state forest nursery and planted along Leahy Road by
Boy Scouts of troup 198. This is also the year that WTV got a landmark
"red roof" that remained until the '90s when it was resurfaced with its
current natural color.
In 1959, the concrete retaining walls and access ramps to
the ball field were installed, a Library was added to the basement, and
curtains were installed for the stage in the multi-purpose room. In
1960 the Display case that is outside the school office was installed,
(after much debate by the Parent Teacher's Club about whether to spend
the $200 on library books or the display case.)
Thirteen Beaverton-area school districts were reorganized in
1960 to create today's Beaverton School District 48. At that time, they
were operating 22 elementary schools and two high schools and ...
Barnes School District was operating five schools: Barnes, Cedar Hills,
Tualatin View, West Tualatin View, and William Walker.
In 1968, the West TV library received an award placing it
second in the Nation for the library programs and facilities. The
library had approximately 14 books per student then, whereas some
schools had only 8, plus the library was open with someone on duty
throughout the school day.
According to a PTG scrapbook, there is a tree planted "this
side of the basketball courts, which was planted on Arbor Day about
1960. All the participants in the planting ceremony placed their names
in a bottle and it was buried along with the roots." In 1970, "the tree
has remained rather small ... perhaps because the bottle has stunted it
More construction was completed in 1965 to build four
additional rooms at the end of the long hallway to accomodate growth
and the inclusion of studends from the TV school that closed earlier
that year. In 1971 rooms 6-9 were built, and later an addition was
built to expand the library. (That space had previously been another
In 1984, West TV celebrated it's 100 year anniversary with
many centennial events and celebrations. A centennial time capsule,
kept in the school office, should also reveal interesting information
someday when it get opened by a new generation of West TV students and
The "modulars" under construction, 1987
In the summer of 1987, the "modulars" were added, giving the
school another four classrooms and a large connecting common area to
again handle an increasing student population. Here is a picture
showing how modular this construction really was! District money was in
high demand and pleas were made by the principal and PTA for a covered
play area to offload use of the gym on rainy days. But it wasn't until
?? that our current play area was covered.
The library was enlarged (with funds provided in a school
bond approved in 1996) to include the windowed side room and allow for
more books and students, and as a place to hold meetings.
With the 2000 school year, the student leadership was asked
to update our school logo. In 2001, a local high school student painted
our new West TV All-Star logo in the breezeway to the gym and on the
covered play area wall as part of his community work towards becoming
an Eagle Scout .
been quite a journey from a log cabin, to Swedeville School, to
Tualatin View, and finally what we know as our West Tualatin View
Elementary School. We hope you've enjoyed this history of our school.
Perhaps in another 100 years, this high-tech website technology will
seem as quaint as the steel pen and ink well does to us from the
previous 100 years. We'll just have to wait and see!
With the beginning of the 2000-2001 school year, the
Beaverton School District celebrated 40 years of educating students in
a growing community. Following several years of debate and discussion,
12 independent K-8 school districts and the Beaverton High School
district agreed to merge on July 1, 1960. It was rapid growth in the
area and a desire to coordinate education policies and standards that
drove the merger. Forty years later, residents of the Beaverton School
District are sending their children to 45 schools where the standards
for what all students should know have been clearly defined, and where
expectations are consistent and consistently high. Schools throughout
the District encourage parents and community members to visit their
local schools and to help celebrate four decades of excellence in
Go back even farther in local school history by reading the
book, School Days: A History of Public Schools In and Around Beaverton,
Oregon 1856-2000. The book, written by former District director of
public relations, Gerald Varner, is available for $20. Contact the
Beaverton School District's Office of Community Involvement at (503)
*We'd like to acknowledge many now
unknown sources of information it took to prepare this history of our
school. Much of the work was done by volunteers and PTC members for the
1984 West TV Centennial Celebration under the organizational direction
of Merilee Bruce, 1984 PTC President. Further information was gleaned
by David Kinder from newspaper clippings and photo scrapbooks kept by a
PTG/PTC "historian", a position that was occasionally filled during the
last 50 years. Also, information from the book , "School Days: A
History of Public Schools In and Around Beaverton, Oregon 1856-2000" by
Gerald H. Varner provided historical insight. Please contact our webmaster if you
have additional pictures or information about our school history we can
include, or if you can clarify any factual errors in the story told