IGDJB - Community Sponsored Club Sports
The Board recognizes the value of community-sponsored club sports and their benefit to Beaverton School District students and the community.
The Board recognizes that community-sponsored club sports are independent from and receive no funding, in-kind services or supervision from the district.
The fiscal management and supervision of students will be the responsibility of the club sport. District resources and/or services, including staff time, will not be used to support community-sponsored club sports teams.
A community-sponsored club sport may submit an application packet to the appropriate school principal to request permission to use the school name.
The superintendent is directed to develop the necessary rules to implement this policy.
- Club Sport Defined. A community sponsored club sport includes those athletic activities and teams not sanctioned by OSAA or the Metro League. They are independent from and receive no funding, in-kind services or supervision from the Beaverton School District.
- A community sponsored club sport must, on an annual basis, request the use of a school name through an application process to the principal and athletic director at that school.
- The organizer of the community sponsored club sport shall submit, on an annual basis, an application packet to the principal at the school in which they wish to be recognized. The packet must include:
A. An overview of the club sport including the organizational structure.
B. A signed statement from the highest person in the organization assuring
the following have been met:
1) The organization’s agreement that all students will have access to
participate regardless of national origin, race, color, religion, gender,
sexual orientation, or financial ability.
2) All parents of students participating in the club sport have signed a
statement acknowledging that the club sport is an organization
independent from and receives no funding, in-kind services or
supervision from the Beaverton School District.
3) Proof of liability insurance or signed waivers from parents relating to
4) The assurance that all coaches/volunteers have been approved
through the District’s background check process and their names
are on file with the athletic director.
5) The head coach’s contact information, including emergency contact,
is on file with the athletic director.
6) The assurance that the items listed in nos. 2 through 5 above will be
7) The assurance that the students who participate in the club sport will
be held to the same behavior standards outlined in Board Policy and
Administrative Regulations JFC and JGD/JGE. NOTE: Discipline
consequences for club sport athletes administered by the club’s
organizing body do not take the place of any disciplinary
consequences outlined in the District’s Consistent Discipline
- The use of a school name by a community sponsored club sport will be at the discretion of the principal after review of the completed application. The District retains the right to revoke the use of the school name at any time.
- Community sponsored club sports may request the use of District facilities as set forth in Board Policy KG and KG-AR, Community Use of District Facilities. Such use is not guaranteed and will be determined on availability.
- Community sponsored club sports may request that the school disseminate information regarding the club sport as set forth in Board Policy KJA and KJA-AR, Materials Distribution.
- The District will deny any club sport request to release information regarding student grades, attendance records or other personally identifiable information without specific parental consent to release this information directly to the club sport’s organizing body.
- The District will not provide any supervision of a community sponsored club sport, and any duties assumed by an employee of the District are voluntary and must be performed outside of their regular workday.
- Students wishing to travel to competitions and/or other activities related to the community sponsored club sport are permitted to do so. District personnel shall not be involved in travel arrangements and/or supervision. Students and their families are responsible for excusing any absences from school in the manner prescribed by the school.
- The District assumes no liability for the activities of community sponsored club sports. The organizer of the community sponsored club sport shall hold the District harmless for any and all claims arising out of the activities related to the community sponsored club sport.