October 28, 2021
On Monday, October 25, the Beaverton School District School Board unanimously voted to adopt an Antiracist Vision Statement. Informed by the work of the Beaverton Multicultural Educator Community (BMEC) and the 40-member Equitable Policies Task Force made up of students, family, community members and staff, the vision statement will guide our implementation of our Every Student Belongs Policy (ACB) and help ensure that our schools are safe and welcoming learning spaces for all.
Antiracist Vision Statement
Every student and employee has the right to learn and work in a safe and inclusive school environment that honors their race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability and national origin.
Beaverton School District owns that our student outcomes currently point to our part in perpetuating institutional racism, and we commit to actions that address the current culture that is leading to these outcomes. Schools are critical in providing safe and creative opportunities for people to learn about different cultural and racial identities, have conversations about pressing issues and correct injustice wherever it exists. We commit to eliminating the structures, policies and practices that perpetuate inequities in our schools and in our community.
Beaverton School District will authentically engage each student, family and staff member to build connection, uplift understanding and truly value the diversity of our school communities. We will work to dismantle policies and systems that perpetuate institutional racism and barriers to education and other school-related activities. Students and families of color will see themselves represented in curriculum, materials, instruction, classrooms and all school activities in our district. Our district will honor, respect, represent, engage with and be accessible to students and adults from all communities.
Eliminating racism and all forms of bias is fundamental to our work — not just a part of our work. We commit to removing racism, white supremacy, hate speech and all forms of bigotry from our schools and communities.
Our district will:
- Seek and incorporate student, family, educator and administrator input in decision-making processes.
- Provide ongoing anti-bias and antiracist education to every staff member.
- Enforce Every Student Belongs procedures to prevent, interrupt and stop racist and biased incidents among students and between staff and students or community members.
- Create an inclusive learning community that honors, respects, represents, engages and is accessible to learners from all communities.
- Create permanent district funding and resources to promote equitable policies, structures and practices for BIPOC students and other marginalized groups.
- Implement policies, procedures and professional development to confront and eliminate conscious and unconscious racism and review these policies and procedures regularly to ensure we are meeting our commitments.