2nd Grade BSD Health Learning Targets (Standards)
- ALT - Academic Learning Target
- AST - Academic Supporting Target
- (HE) - Oregon Department of Education Health Education Standard
Standard ALT 1: Concepts
- AST 1.1 (BSD) Recognize the importance of variety and moderation in food selection and consumption.
- AST 1.2 (BSD) Identify how healthful eating habits can lead to wellness.
- AST 1.3 (BSD) Describe advertising strategies used to impact our food choices.
- AST 1.4 (HE.1.2.1) Recognize examples of different dimensions of health (e.g. physical, mental, social, emotional, and environmental).
- AST 1.5 (HE.1.2.3) Identify when it is important to seek health care.
- AST 1.6 (HE.1.2.4) Identify reproductive body parts using proper anatomical terms and stages in the basic growth processes of all people.
- AST 1.7 (HE.1.2.5) Demonstrate ways to prevent communicable and noncommunicable disease and understand the difference (including HIV/AIDS, and Hepatitis B and C).
- AST 1.8 (HE.1.2.6) Explain why it is important to stay away from potentially unsafe body fluids and objects.
- AST 1.9 (HE.1.2.7) Practice how to communicate respectfully with and about people of all gender identities, gender expressions and sexual orientations. (Original standard: Recognize differences and similarities of how individuals identify regarding gender and the importance of treating others with respect.)
- AST 1.10 (HE.1.2.10) Explain that everyone has the right to say who touches their body, when and how.
- AST 1.11 (HE.1.2.11) Explain that it is never ok to touch someone, or make someone touch you if they don't want to.
- AST 1.12 (HE.1.2.12) Describe a variety of ways people express affection within various types of relationships.
- AST 1.13 (HE.1.2.16) Practice consent as it relates to personal boundaries.
Standard ALT 2: Analyzing Influences
- AST 2.1 (HE.2.2.1) Demonstrate how family, community, and the media influences personal health practices and behaviors.
- AST 2.2 (HE.2.2.2) Demonstrate how school resources support health practices and behaviors.
- AST 2.3 (HE.2.2.4) Provide examples of how friends, family, media, society and culture influence how people think they should act on the basis of their gender.
- AST 2.4 (HE.2.2.5) Identify positive and negative ways friends and peers can influence various relationships.
Standard ALT 3: Accessing Information
- AST 3.1 (HE.3.2.1) Demonstrate ways to locate school and community health helpers.
- AST 3.2 (HE.3.2.2) Describe the qualities of reliable sources of support, such as parents or other trusted adults, when seeking information about sexual and reproductive health.
- AST 3.3 ( HE.3.2.3) Identify sources of support such as parents, school staff, and other trusted adults to seek information and to report sexual abuse.
- AST 3.4 (HE.3.2.5) Describe who to report to at home, school and in the community if they see unsafe objects.
Standard ALT 4: Interpersonal Communication
- AST 4.1 (HE.4.2.1) Demonstrate healthy ways to express needs, wants, and feelings.
- AST 4.2 (HE.4.2.3) Demonstrate effective refusal skills to avoid or reduce health risks.
- AST 4.3 (HE.4.2.4) Demonstrate ways to tell sources of support if threatened or harmed or if someone you know has been hurt or feels unsafe.
- AST 4.4 (HE.4.2.5) List ways to communicate respectfully with and about people of all gender identities, gender expressions and sexual orientations.
- AST 4.5 (HE.4.2.6) List effective ways to communicate personal boundaries and show respect for the boundaries of others.AST 4.6 (HE.4.2.7) Practice asking for help and support if you or someone you know is being hurt or feels unsafe.
Standard ALT 5: Decision Making
- AST 5.1 (HE.5.2.1) Demonstrate decision-making skills for health related situations.
- AST 5.2 (BSD) Identify that alcohol, tobacco products, and prescription medication can be harmful to one’s health.
Standard ALT 6: Goal Setting
- AST 6.1 (HE.6.2.1) Demonstrate setting a short-term and long-term personal health goal and take action toward achieving the goal.
- AST 6.2 (HE.6.2.2) Demonstrate how to access resources to achieve health-related goals.
Standard ALT 7: Practicing Health Enhancing Behaviors
- AST 7.1 (HE.7.2.1) Demonstrate healthy practices and behaviors that maintain or improve personal health.
- AST 7.2 (HE.7.2.2) Demonstrate behaviors that avoid or reduce health risks.
- AST 7.3 (HE.7.2.3) Demonstrate how to clearly say “no” and how to leave an unsafe/uncomfortable situation.
Standard ALT 8: Advocacy
- AST 8.1 (HE.8.2.1) Explain the importance of promoting personal health.
- AST 8.2 (HE.8.2.2) Encourage peers to make positive health choices.