BEA-BSD Negotiations Updates
The District is currently engaging in successor bargaining with the Beaverton Education Association for a full contract review. The current BEA-BSD Collective Bargaining Agreement expires in June 2021.
While the District would typically meet face to face with our labor partners for negotiations, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the parties have agreed to meet for open sessions via Zoom and to have those sessions livestreamed. Livestreamed bargaining sessions may be accessed at this link: https://youtu.be/kTYB-gBg5zk
District’s Collective Bargaining Team
- Brian Hungerford, Attorney, Lead Negotiator
- Erica Marson, Human Resources Administrator and Bargaining Chair
- Tom Colett, School Board Vice Chair
- LeeAnn Larsen, School Board Director
- Susan Rodriguez, Chief Human Resource Officer
- Michael Schofield, Associate Superintendent Business Services
- Kenneth Struckmeier, Executive Administrator for Middle Schools
- Janine Mobley, Human Resources Administrator
- Matt Pedersen, Westview High School Principal
- Erin Kollings, McKay Elementary Principal
- Thao Do Gwilliam, Stoller Middle School Assistant Principal
- Michelle Fowles, Human Resource Analyst I
- April 22, 2021
- May 13, 2021
- May 27, 2021
- June 10, 2021
- June 24, 2021
- July 22, 2021
- September 30, 2021
*All sessions will begin at 5:00 p.m.
- BEA BSD Contract 2019-2021
- Collective Bargaining Act Information
- BSD Initial Proposal
- BEA Initial Proposal
- BEA Counter Proposal 6/10
- BEA Counter Proposal 10/14
- BSD 6.10.21 Counter Proposal-Article 2
- BEA 9.30.21 Counter Proposal Article 2
- BSD 10.14.21 Counter Proposal Article 2
- BEA 9.30.21 Counter Proposal Article 4
- BSD 10.14.21 Counter Proposal Article 4
- BSD 6.10.21 Counter Proposal-Article 6
- BEA 9.30.21 Counter Proposal Article 6
- BSD 10.14.21 Counter Proposal Article 6
- BSD 6.10.21 Counter Proposal-Article 8
- BEA 9.30.21 Counter Proposal Article 8
- BSD 9.30.21 Counter Proposal Article 9
- BSD Counter Proposal-Article 10
- BSD Counter Proposal- Article 11
- BSD Counter Proposal- Article 12
- BSD Counter Proposal-Article 13
- BSD Counter Proposal-Article 15
- BSD Counter Proposal-Article 17
- BSD Counter Proposal-Article 20
Bargaining Session Updates
Both negotiations teams met over zoom from 5:00-9:00 p.m. BSD responded to Articles 2, 4 and 6 from BEA’s previous counterproposal shared on 9.30.21. BEA responded to Articles 9, 10 and 11 from BSD’s previous counter proposal from 9.30.21. The teams had a productive discussion regarding all shared content, with a particularly engaged and lengthy exchange about Article 9.
The BEA and BSD teams met in person from 9:00 to 3:00 on September 30th. BSD responded to Article 9 from BEA’s initial proposal. The previous suggestion to convene a subcommittee to work on Article 9 had never been implemented. BEA responded to BSD’s previous counter proposals for Articles 2, 4, 6 and 8.
The BEA and BSD bargaining teams met via zoom livestreamed on YouTube. The BSD team responded to BEA's proposals for Articles 8, 10, 12, 13 and 20 and addressed BEA's questions on the counterproposals. Both teams have now responded fully to one another's initial full proposal minus any compensation proposals. The teams will reconvene in the fall to continue negotiations.
The BSD team responded to several articles from BEA's initial proposal. A suggestion was made to convene a subcommittee to work on areas of agreement for Article 9. BSD responded with counter proposals for BEA's initial proposals for Article 11, 15, and 17. The teams agreed to meet on July 22 to hear the final counters for the full BEA proposal. Articles yet to be countered include articles 8, 10,12, and 20.
The BEA team presented their full counter proposal to BSD's initial proposal. The BSD team presented counterproposals to BEA's preamble and to BEA's initial proposals for articles 2, 4, and 6. The teams discussed pausing negotiations during the summer months and resuming in the fall.
The BEA team shared their thinking and context behind their initial proposal that had been shared on May 13th. Both BEA and BSD exchanged clarifying questions about the initial proposals.
The BEA and BSD teams exchanged initial proposals. Each team's proposal included all proposed changes to the contract except for those associated with compensation. The initial proposals for BEA and BSD are linked under Resources.
The BEA and BSD teams met on April 22 at 5:00. Teams started with an introductory activity, reviewed and agreed on Bargaining Ground Rules and shared statements of interest.