Loss Control Specialist
To support the safety efforts of the Risk Management Office. To provide technical safety assistance in protecting the District’s personnel, property and financial assets in order to create a safe and healthy educational environment.
The District is comprised of various facilities, including large high schools, middle and elementary schools, alternative schools and support facilities to serve approximately 35,000 students and 4,000+ staff.
The duties of this position require a working knowledge of state and federal regulations related to occupational safety and health, hazardous waste management, ADA compliance, natural disaster planning, asbestos control, workers’ compensation and property and liability insurance. Effective communication skills, both oral and in writing, and human relations skills sufficient to deal effectively with personnel at all levels, as well as students, parents, other governmental representatives, insurance personnel, legal counsel and the general public are essential. Investigative skills and the ability to objectively determine the facts surrounding any given set of circumstances are basic requirements of this position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide consultative services related to student and staff safety matters. This involves both proactive and reactive response. Such matters may involve specific safety hazards, environmental concerns, special events planning, natural disaster planning, or questions concerning procedures in the matter of safety.
- Contribute to a safe educational environment by inspecting district facilities and identifying conditions or activities that either are not in compliance with applicable regulations or create a potential for injury, property loss or liability exposure.
- Develop and implement safety programs and materials. This would also involve appropriate training and inservice. Active participation in safety and accident review committees, new facilities design review, safety curriculum and employee training are all aspects of this position.
- Perform the duties of technology support web master, for the Risk Management office.
- Investigate and process for final disposition certain liability and property claims as assigned by the District Risk Manager.
- Provide backup support to other staff in case of absence or overload. Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is appropriate. A representative way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
- Possession of a bachelor’s degree in a field related to Risk Management; two years experience in Risk Management ; or any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job
- Possession of or ability to obtain, a valid Oregon or Washington driver’s license.
- The maintenance of a driving record that is acceptable to the District’s insurance provider is also required.
Work may be performed indoors or outdoors. Travel is required. Incumbent must be able to stand, walk, drive, push, pull, lift up to 60lbs, bend, stoop, kneel and climb. Work activities may include bending, stooping, kneeling, entering mechanical areas, boiler rooms, chemical storage rooms, climbing onto roofs and getting into sub-floor locations. May be required to access confined spaces. Requires regular focus on a computer screen.
May be required to sit, keyboard, write, hear and speak for extended periods. Occasional attendance at meetings or activities outside of normal working hours.
Position Title: Loss Control Specialist
Department: Risk Management
Reports To: Administrator for Risk Management
Pay Grade: PROF/2
FLSA Status: Exempt
Bargaining Unit: OSEA
Approved Date: 9/03
Revised Date: 2/10