Skip To Main Content
Beaverton School District
Beaverton School District

Beaverton Schools

Meal Charging Policy

Meal Charging Policy - 2022-2023

Oregon House Bill 3454 specifies that when a student requests a reimbursable meal during meal service, they shall receive a meal regardless of the ability to pay for meals. A reimbursable meal consists of at least three (3) components from the five (5) following food groups; Meat/Meat Alternate, Grain, Vegetable, Fruit and Fluid Milk. A student must take a minimum of 3 components from the 5 options, and one of the components must be at least 1/2 cup of fruit or vegetable. For clarification purposes, the cost or accrued negative balances for received meals are the responsibility of the parent or guardian.

  • Beaverton School District will not publicly identify a student who cannot pay for a meal because of a negative balance.
  • Student balance information will be provided only if a student inquires.
  • Students will not be allowed to charge a la carte menu items (including a carton of milk). All a la carte items must be paid for in cash or with funds from a student’s cafeteria account.
  • Adults cannot charge meals or a la carte items. All items must be paid for in cash or with funds from the adult’s cafeteria account.


Account Management:

Balance Inquiry
  • Parents/ Guardians/Students can inquire directly with the cafeteria staff about their account balances.
  • Parents/Guardians/ Students can see their students’ balance, create alerts and use the auto pay feature by signing up for a free SchoolCafé account. Please visit:
Account Payments
  • Prepayments at school - cash or check are accepted in the school cafeteria. Receipts are provided upon request.
  • Prepayments online – SchoolCafé can be used for online payments. There is a small fee for using SchoolCafé to make deposits.

Charging Limit

  • Due to provisions in Oregon law, the district is unable to establish a charging limit for all accounts.
  • Parents or guardians can request, in writing, that student meals be withheld to reduce or limit the amount of that student’s debt. Submit written requests to:
    • with the Subject line: Restrict Charging
End of Year Student Account Balances

Student account balances both positive and negative, automatically roll over to the following school year. If a student has funds and no longer attends Beaverton School District, families can do the following:

  • Request a refund check. NOTE: Refund checks may take several weeks to process.
  • Request the funds be transferred to a sibling's student meal account.
  • Request the funds be donated to pay off negative balances. Donations can be made to specific students, schools or where there is the greatest need.

A copy of this document can be downloaded here.