Meal Charging Policy
Meal Charging Policy
Oregon House Bill 3454 specifies that when a student requests a reimbursable meal during meal service, they shall receive a meal regardless of the ability to pay for meals. A reimbursable meal consists of at least three (3) components from the five (5) following food groups; Meat/Meat Alternate, Grain, Vegetable, Fruit and Fluid Milk. A student must take a minimum of 3 components from the 5 options, and one of the components must be at least 1/2 cup of fruit or vegetable. For clarification purposes, the cost or accrued negative balances for received meals are the responsibility of the parent or guardian.
· For school year 2021-2022 Beaverton School District Nutrition Services will utilize waivers from USDA and breakfast or lunch meals will be provided to all students at no cost.
· We will provide a student their meal account balance only if they inquire.
· Students must have a positive balance on their meal account or cash to purchase a la carte menu items. (Including a carton of milk.)
· Adults must have a positive balance on their meal account or cash to purchase meals or a la carte items.
· Parents/ Guardians/Students can inquire directly with the cafeteria staff about their account balances.
· Parents/Guardians/ Students can see their students’ balance, create alerts and use the auto pay feature by signing up for a free SchoolCafé account. Please visit: https://www.schoolcafe.com/register
· Prepayments at school - cash or check are accepted in the school cafeteria. Receipts are provided upon request.
· Prepayments online – SchoolCafé can be used for online payments. There is a small fee for using SchoolCafé to make deposits.
End of Year Student Account Balances
Student account balances (positive and negative), automatically roll over to the following school year. If a student has funds and no longer attends Beaverton School District, families can do the following:
· Request a refund check. NOTE: Refund checks may take up to 3-4 weeks to process.
· Request the funds be transferred to a sibling's student meal account.
· Request the funds be donated to pay off negative balances. Donations can be made to specific students, schools or where needed most.
A copy of this document can be downloaded here.