Meal Charging Policy
Meal Charging Policy
Beaverton School District provides meals through the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP) administered by the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the State of Oregon.
Oregon law specifies that when a student requests a full breakfast or lunch during meal service, they shall receive a meal regardless of the ability to pay for meals. For clarification purposes, accrued negative balances for received meals are the responsibility of the parent or guardian. Additionally:
- Beaverton School District will not publicly identify a student who cannot pay for a meal because of a negative balance.
- Student balance information will be provided only if a student inquires.
- Students will not be allowed to charge a la carte menu items (including a carton of milk). All a la carte items must be paid for in cash or with funds from a student’s cafeteria account.
- Adults cannot charge meals or a la carte items. All items must be paid for with check, cash or with funds from the adult’s cafeteria account.
- Due to provisions in Oregon law, the district is unable to establish a charging limit for all accounts.
- We are an opt-out program. Parents or guardians can request, in writing, that student meals be withheld to reduce or limit the amount of that student’s debt.
Submit written requests to:
- NS-MealBenefits@beaverton.k12.or.us with the Subject line: Restrict Charging
- Parents/ Guardians/Students can inquire directly with the cafeteria staff about their account balances.
- Parents/Guardians/ Students can see their students’ balance, create alerts, and use the auto pay feature by signing up for a free SchoolCafé account. Please visit: https://www.schoolcafe.com/beavertonsd
- Prepayments at school - cash or check are accepted in the school cafeteria. Receipts are provided upon request.
- Prepayments online – SchoolCafé can be used for online payments. There is a small fee for using SchoolCafé to make deposits.
End of Year Student Account Balances
Student account balances, both positive and negative, automatically roll over to the following school year. If a student has funds and no longer attends Beaverton School District, families can do the following:
- Request a refund check for balance amounts over $25.00. NOTE: Refund checks may take several weeks to process.
- Request a cash refund for amounts under $25.00.
- Request the funds be transferred to another BSD student meal account.
- Request the funds be donated to pay off negative balances. Donations can be made to specific students, schools or where needed most.
A copy of this document can be downloaded here.