What to do when the Earth shakes
DROP to your hands and knees. This position protects you from being knocked down and also allows you to stay low and crawl to shelter, if nearby.
COVER your head and neck with one arm and hand.
- If a sturdy table or desk is nearby, crawl underneath it for shelter.
- If no shelter is nearby, crawl next to an interior wall (away from windows).
- Stay on your knees; bend over to protect vital organs.
HOLD ON until shaking stops.
- Under shelter: hold on to it with one hand; be ready to move with your shelter if it shifts.
- No shelter: hold on to your head and neck with both arms and hands.