Parent Groups

Information for Parent Groups

Parent Group Activities at District Facilities

In order for a Parent Group to be eligible for coverage under the Beaverton School District's ("District") self-insurance program, the Parent Group must comply with the following guidelines.
  1. The District will make a reasonable attempt to accommodate requests by Parent Groups to use District facilities for Parent Group activities.  Parent Groups are defined as those with charters and by-laws, and are commonly referred to as PTO's, PTC's, and Booster Clubs.
  2. The use of District facilities by Parent Groups must be scheduled through the normal building use procedures in place at all District facilities.  This will include the completion of a Facility Use request in SchoolDude​.
  3. Each Parent Group using District facilities should designate a Safety Adviser.  The Safety Adviser of the Parent Group or his or her designee should report all incidents involving injuries or damage to property occurring during Parent Group activities conducted at District facilities.   All such reports should be made immediately to the Supervising Staff Member at the event.  The principal of the school where an injury or property damage occurs shall report the incident to the Risk Management Office within 24 hours.
  4. In conducting activities at District facilities, the Parent Group shall ensure that all participants comply, with all policies of the District including those prohibiting the use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs.
  5. If a Parent Group uses an outside vendor for any services performed at District facilities, the Parent Group must obtain from the vendor, a certificate of insurance naming the Beaverton School District as Additional Insured.  This certificate from the vendor shall be provided to the Risk Management Office at least 30 days prior to the event.  The Risk Management Office will review the certificate of insurance and may contact the Parent Group should any additional information be necessary.
  6. The District assumes no responsibility for or over:

    (a)   any Parent Group activities occurring at locations other than District facilities,
    (b)   events not actively supervised by District staff,
    (c)   any intentional torts of Parent Group representatives or members,
    (d)   any malfeasance or willful or wanton neglect of duty (within the meaning of ORS 30.285(2) by a Parent Group representative or member,
    (e)   the use of motor vehicles by Parent Group representatives and members,
    (f)    any property owned by the Parent Group,
    (g)   any Workers’ Compensation,
    (h)   any monies or property belonging to the Parent Group and,
    (i)    any event where the following are present; drugs, tobacco, alcohol, weapons or anything banned by District policy.

    If a Parent Group intends to pursue any activities occurring at locations other than at District facilities or outside of these guidelines, the Parent Group is encouraged to obtain their own insurance for those activities.​

Carnivals - End of Year Celebration - Event Guidelines

Graphic of carnival tent with words, back to school events, carnivals, end of year celebrations and other on property events.

The following is an outline of requirements that must be followed whether is is a Parent Group or School Employee renting amusements and inviting vendors for events to be held on Beaverton School District property.

All vendors must meet District Insurance requirements at least one week prior to the event. These requirements can be found in the "Insurance" tab under Certificate of Insurance Requirements - Basic.

Inflatable Amusements (bounce house, slides, obstacle course, etc.)
The US Consumer Products Safety Commission reported that an estimated 31,000 injuries requiring treatment at an emergency department occurred on inflatables in the United States between 2003 and 2007. Our goal is to keep kids safe and whole - it won't be a fun event if students are injured.

Keep your event pumped by following these requirements!

Inflatable Vendor
  • Confirm vendors insurance is current and on file with Risk Management (503) 356-4560.
  • Inflatable company employees must unload, set up and take down the equipment.
  • An employee, from the inflatable company MUST be present for the duration of your event.
  • Volunteers who are supervising inflatables must meet the Supervision Rules for Amusements section below.
  • Inflatables may NOT be used indoors, on concrete, asphalt or like surfaces.
  • NO residential inflatables are allowed, only rented amusements.
Supervision Rules for Amusements
Constant and proper supervision of inflatables is paramount in providing a safe event.
  • It is MANDATORY that an Employee from the Inflatable Company be present for the duration of your event to ensure amusements are properly functioning and supervision is adequate.
  • Volunteer supervisors must be trained by the inflatable company employee.
  • Volunteers supervising the inflatables must understand the safety rules for the event and must be willing to ENFORCE the rules with students.
  • It is specifically important to enforce no horseplay and no overcrowding. Allowing too many students on an amusement at the same time WILL cause injury.
Most Common Amusement Problems that lead to Injuries
  • Rides set up on concrete or asphalt can result in serious injuries if a fall or tip-over occurs.
  • Rides not secured properly have been known to be picked up by wind or tip over.
  • Improper use - too many children can cause a ride to tip, even if it is staked. Size disparity among children and poor supervision has caused injury to students and CAN be avoided.
  • If a blower fails, it can take only a few seconds for the ride to collapse.
Dunk Tank
May be used provided the following rules are followed.
  • Confirm vendors insurance is current and on file with Risk Management (503) 356-4560.
  • Vendor must provide an employee to operate the Dunk Tank - in addition to monitor or inflatables.
  • Only District staff members are allowed in the dunk tank - NO STUDENTS!

Banned Amusements
Mechanical Bull   *   Bubble Soccer

Food Service, Food Vendors and Food Trucks
  • Confirm vendors insurance is current and on file with Risk Management (503) 356-4560.
  • Only commercially prepared food permitted at School and Parent Group events.
  • Vendors must follow all Health Department regulations including:
    • Food Handlers
    • Temporary Restaurant License

DJ's   *   Concession   *   Photographer   *   Inflatable   *   Food Vendor
A vendor is anyone doing business or providing a service on District property. Confirm all vendors have met District insurance requirements by calling Risk Management (503) 356-4560.

Bingo   *   50/50   *   Raffle   *   Casino Night
Be certain you are following Department of Justice regulations concerning Charitable Gaming:

Movie Night
Public performances of motion pictures and other audiovisual works are illegal unless they have been authorized by license.  Even "performances in 'semi-public' places such as SCHOOLS are 'public performances' subject to copyright control." 

Both for-profit organizations and non-profit institutions must secure a license to show films/movies, regardless of whether an admission fee is charged.

Non-compliance with the Copyright Act is considered infringement and carries steep and significant penalties for both the exhibitor and anyone that contributes to the infringing conduct. Unlicensed public performances are Federal crimes and can be subject to a $150,000 penalty per exhibition and other penalties.

5th Grade Send-Off and 8th Grade Promotion

Picture of Graduation Cap in the air.

What an exciting time in the life of our students as they move on to the next level of their education
and life journey. They deserve to be celebrated!

Each year, as new parents start meeting and brainstorming ideas for these celebrations, we get many questions about what activities meet District guidelines. We hope this will be helpful in planning such activities.

We are going to start right off with that tough realization – what activities are not allowed:

  • Amusement Parks
  • Bungee Jumping
  • High Ropes Courses
  • Horseback Riding
  • Laser Tag, Airsoft, Paintball, etc.
  • Sky Diving (includes indoor simulation)
  • Swimming (or any water activity)
  • Trampoline Park
  • Watercraft (motorized and non-motorized)

The Beaverton School District field trip process must be followed for all off-site activities. All Field Trip forms and a trip matrix are on the Risk Management page of the Staff Intranet.

If your school celebrates on school grounds, please keep in mind that all vendors must meet District Insurance Requirements - at least one week prior to event. The time it takes to get the required insurance can take several weeks so advanced planning is important.

You can find a list of approved vendors on the Beaverton School District website. This list includes food, inflatable, concession and DJ vendors. Any vendor not already on this list will need to meet Insurance Requirements.

High School Grad Night

High School Grad Night is NOT School and/or District sponsored. These events require either Booster Group insurance that covers the event or a Special Event policy.

All flyers, websites or promotional material MUST contain the following language:
The Beaverton School District does not sponsor or endorse any activities related to Senior Grad Night.