ACMA Construction Schedule Extension
The construction schedule for the new Arts & Communication Magnet Academy (ACMA) rebuild has been extended from one to two years. ACMA students will attend school in the "swing" school in the Timberland school during the 2019-2020 and 2020-20201 school years. The new school will open September 2021.
There are several factors that influenced the decision to extend the construction schedule:
- Current market conditions and local labor shortages with the recent passage of neighboring district construction bond measures and continued high demand for commercial construction in the region are challenging the District's ability to attract bidders, maintain subcontractors to provide this pace of work, and get the best value for bond dollars.
- Time requirements for various jurisdictions to complete design review, permitting and inspections will continue to be significant in this construction market. Preliminary City of Beaverton review indicates more extensive road work will be required at this site introducing a significant time factor.
- Limited access and work area on the campus will restrict the size of crews and activities that can be worked on simultaneously. The close proximity of the grounds to surrounding houses will limit work hours hampering the ability to extend work days if needed.
What will be gained by extending the construction schedule:
- A better quality, complete facility fully ready and given to staff well in advance of the new school opening. In previous bond construction projects, time for staff move in was compressed and not all site work was complete in time for welcoming students.
- More time for quality control and flexibility. For example, there will be more time to test and tune HVAC and other mechanical systems that ensure the comfort for ACMA staff and students.