BEAVERTON STUDENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Beaverton School Board believes that student perspectives provide important information as they lead and make decisions for the Beaverton School District. The Beaverton Student Advisory Committee (BSAC) will serve as one connection for students to be informed and have their voices heard within our District. A school board liaison and the superintendent (or designee) will support the student advisory committee work.
The following points outline the specifics of the BSAC:
- To provide significant input and ideas into key district issues/decisions.
- To be an advisory group to the school board and the superintendent.
- To represent all of the students in the district and their respective schools.
- To attend and contribute to every meeting including completing required tasks outside of meeting times.
- The school board intends that the educational experience for the members of the BSAC are challenging, valuable and allow the students to contribute to the effective operation of the district
- The BSAC will meet regularly during the year - a minimum of once a month, 2-3 hours in length. Meetings times will be determined before the meetings begin.
- The School Board and full student advisory committee will meet once or twice a year in joint meetings.
- Members will develop and design annual goals with the superintendent and committee board liaisons(s) and present these to the school board.
- The student leadership team will work in conjunction with the Executive Administrator in formulating agendas for meetings.
- The BSAC will select Co-Presidents, as well as a director of social media and secretary to create the BSAC Leadership Team.
- The BSAC secretary will compile meeting minutes for delivery at school board meetings.
- The School Board recommends that the Student Leadership Team (Co-Presidents, Social Media Director, and Secretary):
- Attend all regular meetings of the school board; and, upon invitation by the Board Chair, attend work sessions of the school board;
- Provide brief updates to the board re: matters related to the BSAC and district students
Student Participant Selection
- High school principals will select students to serve on the BSAC from their schools.
- We are looking for two students from each comprehensive high school and at least one student representative from each option school. The BSAC can be one- or two-year appointments depending on what each high school decides.
- We are seeking student members with a diversity of ages, ethnicities, experiences and viewpoints.
- Students must maintain the same standards and qualifications for participating in District extracurricular activities.
- Students are expected to attend all scheduled meetings. Students must notify the School Board Liaison and/or Executive Administrator if they will miss any meeting.
- For any two or more unexcused absences, a student may be removed from the BSAC by the Executive Administrator. If needed, another student from the school may be selected to serve out the student’s term.
Students are expected to actively participate and represent students within their school and the entire District. Between meetings, BSAC members are expected to complete all assignments.