School Resource Officer Program Review
The District, in partnership with the City of Beaverton, is reviewing the School Resource Officer (SRO) program. For the past year, our district and city leaders have heard from many in the community — including educators, parents/guardians and students — about school safety and the role of SROs. Through the Beaverton Student Advisory Committee and affinity groups, students across the district have prioritized discussions specifically about the SRO program. As community members, we share an interest in keeping students and staff safe. We also acknowledge that there are many different lived experiences and perspectives about what safety means, and there are a wide array of perspectives from our diverse community regarding the appropriate role of SROs.
The District and the City of Beaverton jointly hired the consultant SeeChange to help facilitate a comprehensive review. The cost of this review was shared by both the District and the City. Students, parents/guardians, educators and SROs had an opportunity to inform this program review in the first half of 2022.
On July 25, the findings were shared with School Board and City Council members. They are currently reviewing the report and considering the suggestions made. Here is the report for your review:
UPDATE 8/19/22: The original copy of this report contained an error in the Appendix (Table A2) where the column containing the number of survey responses was mislabeled as "Percent of Survey Responses" and the column containing the percentages of survey responses was mislabeled as "Number of Survey Responses." This header labeling error has been corrected and the data itself was not erroneous.
Once any decisions are made, they’ll be communicated on this webpage.
- Is the District ending the School Resource Officer (SRO) program?
- Why is the District reviewing the SRO program?
- Who is doing the review, and what will it involve?
- Didn’t the District already gather community input about the SRO program? Why does it need more?
- When will the review take place?
- How can I get involved in the review?
- What if I don’t want my student to participate?
- How is this review being funded, and how much will it cost?