Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

​​​​AHS counseling ​​frequently asked questions​​

Who should seek advice from their Guidance Counselor?     

All students! Every student at Aloha High School is a valuable part of this community. It is our goal to help you reach your full potential by helping you explore the many programs and opportunities that are available to you, both during your high school years and the years that immediately follow. By allowing us to get to know you early on, we can help you stay on track and make any necessary adjustments along the way to ensure success.

Besides helping to plan the daily academic schedule, what other programs can a Guidance Counselor help with?     

There are a lot of options out there, both within and outside of the Beaverton School District. We can help you get connected with programs like Outdoor School, Health Careers, GED programs, and many others.

What about post-high school plans? Should I wait until my Junior or Senior year to start thinking about that?     

No! You should start thinking about this right away! Whether you have your sights set on going to college or entering the military, you can take steps as early as your freshman year to get you on the best track to your post-high school goals. BSD offers post-high school planning nights for each grade level throughout the year (click here for schedule). Aloha's counselors meet with Juniors and Seniors each year to offer guidance in the post-high school planning process. We are also pleased to have Lisa Brennan as an expert resource for college planning, scholarship information, and assistance with other related maters such as the FAFSA.

What if issues in my personal life seem to be affecting my grades? Is there anything you can do to help?        

Absolutely. We care about you as a whole person, not just your grades. Of course, we want to see you be successful, so we are here to listen and work with you and your family, if necessary, to formulate a "game plan" that will keep you on a positive track.  We can also help connect you with community resources.

When can I visit my counselor?  

Counselors are available on a "drop-in" basis before school, during student lunches, and after school.  Students may also schedule a 5 or 10-minute appointment with their counselor during the student's lunch time.  Students with appointments are given priority.   

Who are the Guidance Counselors at Aloha and do they have any specific areas they focus in?     
How do I know which counselor to see?

Currently at Aloha we have five Guidance Counselors. Their student caseloads are assigned as a section of the alphabet, by students' last names. Each counselor also has a variety of areas on which they focus. It's possible that students may get to know more than one counselor, depending on his/her needs and interests.

Aloha also has a full-time Resource Counselor and other specialists who comprise our counseling team. Click here to view all members, titles, and areas of service.


Concerned about your students' academic progress?     

  • ParentVUE and StudentVUE allow parents and students to view assignments and check progress in each of the student's classes. Links to teachers' email addresses are available on the AHS Staff web page
  • Formal progress reports are completed electronically by the teachers and are mailed to parents after 6 and 12 weeks in each semester.
  • If you think your student could benefit from tutoring, the BSD Tutor List can be a helpful resource.

Didn't get your students' report card?     
Your student may have an outstanding fine, or we may have an incorrect address.

  • Call AHS at (503)259-4700 to find out if your student has an outstanding fine. Your students' report card will be released after the fine is paid in full.
  • Sometimes students have moved, and the school is not notified of a new address. Please call (503)259-4719 to make sure we have the most up-to-date contact information.

How can a student make-up or earn extra credits?     

  • Credit recovery courses in in Math, English, and Social Sciences are offered at AHS through the APEX program.
  • Consider PCC, or correspondence courses, or online courses!
    PCC (Portland Community College) credits do transfer to AHS, but the credit transfer is a little tricky. 3-4 credits at PCC equal .5 AHS credits, which is the amount awarded for a one-semester course at AHS. To take classes at PCC,  a student must submit an application for PCC (available online at and call PCC's Rock Creek campus (503.614.7300) to schedule a time to take the ASSET placement test. The test will determine the appropriate levels of classes for your student.
  • Other schools offer independent study programs, such as Portland State University, or BYU Independent Study. Speak with an Aloha Counselor for help in choosing the right option and courses.

Can I request homework?     
If your student has been absent for three or more days:

  • You may call Kandra Luna at 503-356-2762.
  • Teachers require 24 hours to put the homework packets together, so your request will be ready to pick up in the Front office at the end of the following school day from when you placed the request. 
  • If your student will be returning to school prior to the end of this 24 hour window, it may be easier for the student to get his/her assignments directly from the teacher to allow time for questions and recap.