Are you interested in getting some exposure to career programs available at PCC?
Then Career Encounters might be right for you!
This program offers juniors and seniors an opportunity at a hands-on career experience in high-demand, high-wage careers and career research guidance at Portland Community College. Students who complete any one of our three courses, are eligible to earn both high school Applied Arts (.5) credits and PCC credits (2.00). All tuition, fees, and equipment are paid for by Beaverton School District.
Currently, there are three course options of the Career Encounters program. Two of which are available for the 2018-19 academic school year (PCC terms: Fall, Winter, Spring):
- FALL 2018: Professional Arts (Sept 24 - Dec 16) - 7th Period
- WINTER 2019: Transportation Trades (Jan 7 - March 22) - 7th Period (students need to have this period off for both semesters)
- SPRING 2019: Professional Arts - TBA
All courses, regardless of the term they are offer in, meet twice a week following the A/B Day Schedule (no class on Fridays). Class time runs from 1:30pm to 3:30pm and once every 2 weeks, students stay 1 hour later (until 4:30pm) to do the career focus activities in the College Guidance section of the course.
- Transportation from the high schools is provided to and from PCC (students receive Trimet bus passes for the ride home).
Here Is A List Of Career Programs Within Each Course:
How To Register For This Course:
- Prior to the start of the desired PCC Term: Students must first consult with their counselors regarding course availability (FALL, WINTER, SPRING)
- Check eligibility guidelines below:
- A student must be at least 16 years old and be currently enrolled in one of BSD's comprehensive high schools. Students must also have good academic standing (GPA 2.0 or better). In order to be successful in one of these courses, students must be commited, have a history of good attendance and be self-motivated to learn and step outside of their comfort zone. Prior to the start of the term, students are required to complete the following PCC requirements:
- Apply For PCC Admissions As A Regular Credit Seeking Student: Get a G-Number (PCC Student #)
- Complete the online orientation (Required for new students)
- Complete and submit to me theCareer Encounters Permission Form (required every term)
- Return To This Site and click on Sign up for Career Encounters Now!
To sign up for the current course, please use the link below (this is a requirement for all participants). The link attached will have more information of what course is coming up.
Questions? Email: email@example.com