ATTENDANCE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
It is critical that your child is in his/her classes. Our school day is from
Monday-Tuesday-Thursday and Friday 9:15 a.m. to 3:50 p.m.
Wednesday 9:15 a.m. to 2:20 p.m.
Disruptions to class takes away from the learning process.
If your child is ill or there is an emergency:
• The parent should call the attendance line (503-356-2621) by 9:00 a.m. on the day
of the absence.
• If you call to report your child’s absence, a note is not needed and your child may report
directly to the first period class upon returning to school.
If you do not call the school to report your child’s absence, you need to:
• Send a note for your child to give to the Attendance Secretary before school at the
attendance window on his/her return to school. The note should include child’s full name, dates
of absence and reason, your full name and a phone number where you can be reached during the
day. The Attendance Secretary is located at the sliding window in Red Hall, around the corner
from the main office.
EXCUSED ABSENCES are those caused by:
• Students illness
• Illness or death of a family member
UN-EXCUSED ABSENCES are those for which:
• Student does not have permission from the parent/guardian, teacher or an
administrator to miss school.
• Student will be assigned a consequence for this.
PREARRANGED ABSENCES are those due to:
Appointments during school day:
• Student should bring a note to show his/her teacher with the time of departure. Teacher will
release student to meet parent in office. Parents are required to come to the office to sign
his/her student out of school. This is the least disruptive to classroom learning.
• Student should sign in at the office when returning to school on the same day. Parents are not
required to accompany their student to office upon return to school.
Family trips/prolonged absences:
• Send an email or note to your student’s teacher and to the Attendance Secretary.
• The student is responsible for collecting homework from teachers.
HOMEWORK REQUESTS will be accepted after a two or more consecutive days absence. Please call
the Attendance Secretary at (503-356-2621) to request homework. Please allow 24 hours for
collection of the assignments. Students who are absent are expected to complete all assignments
missed. In most cases the time given for make up work is equal to the number of days absent. Failure
to make up assigned work does not allow the teacher to access knowledge or assess students.