History of Hiteon Elementary
there were not more than 20 houses in what
the Hiteon School District. Children from
the Hiteon area attended the
little one-room school in the McKay district
before that area was
divided into Hiteon, Garden Home and McKay
The name "Hiteon" (pronounced "hi-ton") is
derived from Hite, a family
name of one of the original settlers in the
Beaverton area. Mr. and
Mrs. Joseph Hite settled with their family
in 1880 on Scholls Ferry
Road at the corner of what is now 125th
Avenue. Their son, Ernest D.
Hite, lived on the same property until his
death in 1962. He served on
the Hiteon school board for many years.
Neighbors to Ernest D. Hite
suggested the name for their new school in
On January 9, 1975, Hiteon School opened its
doors at the current
location on SW Brockman. At the time there
were 327 students, a staff
of 16 teachers, 1 secretary and 1 aide.
Although the building was not
quite finished, everyone was eager to be
together under one roof after
four months of sharing space with Cooper
Mountain and Chehalem Schools.
The school consisted of 12 classrooms and a
CMC in one area, while the
gym, music room, office and cafeteria were
along an extended hallway.
Three years later in 1978, enrollment had
increased to 481 students.
Six new classrooms were added to the
southwest end of the building. In
1986, another addition of two kindergarten
rooms, a computer center and
two classrooms brought Hiteon to it's
present size. In 2008 the most current
addition began. All classrooms
received permanent walls, the bathrooms and
cafeteria were updated and a new wing was added
that includes 10 new classrooms and a resource
School House circa 1911