Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

5225 SW Scholls Ferry Road 
Portland, Oregon 97225

Phone/Teléfono: 503-356-2160​

Attendance Line/Para reportar inasistencias:

503.356.2161

Fax: 503-356-2165

    

​​​
Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 9.18.02 PM.png


                                          History of Raleigh Hills School


Raleigh School, as it was first named, began serving the families of this area in 1892 in a white frame building that was located 

where the two-story brick building is today.  Mr. Hall, the first classroom teacher, earned $35.00 a month in 1892.  Raleigh Hills 

School was its own school district, District #95, 13th public school district in what is now the Beaverton School District.  We were 

a kindergarten through eighth grade school until 1960 when the Beaverton School district was formed merging the small school 

districts.

The brick building was built in 1927 and consisted of three classrooms, boiler room, kindergarten and lavatories in the basement 

with the classrooms on the second level.  Children played in a barn behind the school during recess.  During the 1940s, a closet 

was converted into a small library serving seventh and eighth grade students.  It is currently the intermediate workroom on the 

second floor.  Dairies surrounded the school at that time and some students were allowed to walk to Zwahlen's dairy and milk the 

cows.

In 1954, the Raleigh School board voted to expand and Mr. Tom Miles drew the expansion sketches for the new building.  These 

plans were taken to the Educational Research Department at Stanford University for review and approval.  They were approved and 

a parent, Mr. Max Williams, was the architect who designed the 1950s wing of our school.  The expansion was done in two stages.

Raleigh School District #95, purchased property and a school building from a private school, Gabel School, opening a second 

elementary school.  Raleigh Park School opened in 1958-59 in the original Gabel School building.  The Superintendent of Raleigh 

School District moved forward with a bond issue and the current Raleigh Park School was built.

The Washington County Committee for the Reorganization of School Districts presented a plan to reorganize and unify the small 

districts of Beaverton into a unified K-12 unified school district in September 1959.  This plan was presented to voters in June of 

1959 and rejected.  A second election was held in December of that year and the plan was approved.  Raleigh School became a 

part of the new Beaverton School District.

The original school colors were blue and gold, changing to black and red in 1994.  Our mascot, the panther, has remained constant 

through our history.  The K-5 panther logo came from an animation cell drawn by a parent of a former student over fifteen years ago.  

The middle school panther comes from a 1950s gym bag used by seventh and eighth graders.  With the return of the middle level 

students, it only seemed fitting to bring back this panther.

Throughout its long history, the Raleigh Hills School community has valued the achievements of each child and the partnership 

between families and educators to support each child

​​

On October 12, 2012, former Raleigh School student, Sylvia Blainey Haven paid a visit to give a gift to her old school. The gift? 

Ms. Haven self-published a book of archival photos and memories! Explore it HERE