Click to view Activities and EventsSHSMonthly Info -- 2017.09.docx
September Activities and Events
Back-to-School Events and Activities:
9/6 – Wednesday
- First day of school sophomores, juniors, seniors (second day for freshmen)
- Student parking passes available for purchase at the Business Office (juniors and seniors only)
9/7 – Thursday
- College & Career Center Informational meeting – 9:00 a.m.
- Senior meeting – 1:00 p.m.
- Volleyball vs. Aloha HS – 6:45 p.m.
- Men's soccer vs. McMinnville HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/8 – Friday
- Seniors: Last day of #1 parking pass promotion for Grad Party registrations
- Football vs. Sheldon HS – 7:00 p.m.
9/11 – Monday
- Picture make-up day
- SHS Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) meeting – 7:00 p.m., Community Room
- Women's soccer vs. Lake Oswego HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/13 – Wednesday
- First day of early release schedule – 1:00 p.m.
9/14 – Thursday
- Volleyball vs. Beaverton HS – 6:45 p.m.
- Men's soccer vs. West Salem HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/15 – Friday
- Apollo merchandise for sale -- both lunches
- Football vs. Century HS and Future Apollos Night – 7:00 p.m.
9/18 – Monday
- First day student parking passes are required
9/19 – Tuesday
- Private college presentation by counseling – 1:30 p.m.
9/20 – Wednesday
- Latino Parent Night – 6:30 p.m.
9/21 – Thursday
- Public college presentation by counseling – 1:30 p.m.
- Men's soccer vs. Jesuit HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/22 – Friday
- Staff appreciation breakfast
- ASPIRE training – 9:00 a.m.
9/25 – Monday
- Volleyball vs. Westview HS – 6:45 p.m.
- Women's soccer vs. Beaverton HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/27 – Wednesday
- Back-to-School Night – 6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
- Apollo merchandise class shirt orders due today!
9/28 – Thursday
- BSD Senior College and Post HS Planning Night – 7:00 p.m.
- Men's soccer vs. Southridge HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/29 – Friday
- PTO Volunteer Orientation – 9:00 a.m.
- Apollo merchandise for sale -- both lunches
- Homecoming Football vs. Aloha HS – 7:00 p.m.
9/30 – Saturday
- Seniors: Last day to save $10 on your Grad Party registration
- Homecoming Dance – 8:00 to 10:30 p.m.
- Sporting events listed here are varsity home meets/games. For a complete list of all school meets/games, including freshman/JV and "away" events, go to www.metroleague.org. Only sports sanctioned by the OSAA are included on the Metro League site.
- Activities/events listed here take place at Sunset HS unless noted otherwise. When you arrive, look for signs indicating the meeting room.
- Dates/times can change due to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
2017-2018 School Year Back-to-School Dates!
- First day of school for all other grades (second day for freshmen) – 9/6
- First day of BSD-wide early release/teacher collaboration schedule – 9/13. Students are released at 1:00 p.m. every Wednesday beginning 9/13.
You're invited to:
- First PTO Meeting of the 2017-2018 School Year -- 9/11, 7:00 p.m. Learn more about how to support Sunset students and staff through Sunset's Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) at this first meeting or here: http://sunsetpto.com/.
- Back-to-School Night – 9/27, 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Learn about Sunset academics and your child's classes. More information will be sent home soon.
- PTO Volunteer Orientation -- 9/29, 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. In the meantime, register to volunteer now at http://sunsetpto.com/ so that you can be notified about volunteer opportunities in September such as the College & Career Center/ASPIRE volunteer informational session on 9/7 at 9:00 a.m., Staff Appreciation breakfast on 9/22, shifts in game-day concessions and other places around SHS.
- College visits start this month. Many college representatives come to Sunset to share information about their school. Many of these representatives are often the first to review applications. Stop by the College & Career Center to learn more and sign-up.
- Senior Letter of Recommendation Packet. If your student is considering colleges that use the Common Application or that require a consolidated letter of recommendation from their high school, be sure to read through the Senior Letter of Recommendation documents found here: http://sunsetcounseling.weebly.com/senior-letter-of-rec-packet.html.
- BSD 12th Grade College and Post HS Planning Night -- 9/28, 7:00 p.m. Seniors from across the district are invited to this first BSD college and career night. This one takes place at Sunset. The same presentation will be made on 9/26 at 7:00 p.m. at Beaverton High School. The full list of BSD planning nights can be found here, along with links to presentations: https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/PS/Pages/College--Career-Information.aspx.
- It's time to sign-up for the Grad Party! Registrations are now being accepted for the Grad Party -- an annual event that is alcohol and drug-free and takes place after graduation in June. Parent volunteers will be at Sunset on 9/7, during lunch and at the senior meeting, and at Back-to-School Night on 9/27 to accept completed registration forms and answer questions. And remember: when you sign up by 9/8, you will be entered into a drawing for the #1 student parking pass. And you'll save $10 off the ticket price when you sign up by 9/30. All details can be found here: http://bit.ly/2018GradParty.
For all Apollos:
- Student parking passes for 2017-2018 – Juniors and Seniors only. Parking passes can be purchased at the Business Office beginning on the first day of school. Juniors and seniors may park for the first two weeks without a pass but must have a parking pass displayed in their car window beginning 9/18. Sunset will continue to sell passes throughout the year to juniors and seniors as they get licenses and cars. Sophomores cannot purchase passes due to the limited number of parking spaces. Sunset's Business Office is open from 7:00 to 7:40 a.m. before school, during lunches, and until 3:00 p.m. after school.
- Grad Party Raffle Basket Fundraiser – Drawing on 9/8. If you didn't get a chance to buy a ticket for the Grad Party's raffle basket fundraiser at Apollo Preview Days, tickets will be sold during lunch on 9/7 and the first half of the football game on 9/8. Tickets are $5.00 each or $20 for five tickets. The winning tickets will be pulled at halftime of the football game on 9/8 and the winner will be notified. Grad Party is offering two baskets, each with items valued at over $1,300. The entire Sunset community is invited to "pay it forward" and support this year's senior class.
- The "Play a Role" Fundraiser for Renovations to the Auditorium has launched. Your support is appreciated! A little over $20,000 has already been raised for the "Play a Role" Fundraiser. The goal is to raise at least $170,000 to refurbish the auditorium including the purchase and installation of a new sound system that is used for many all-student activities and by other schools/groups in the community. Here's a great article about the auditorium and this campaign that was recently published in the Cedar Mill News: http://cedarmill.org/news/817/playarole.html. Look here for more details on this fundraiser and links to donate: http://bit.ly/Play_a_Role.
- Apollo Merchandise for Sale! Apollo merchandise will sold during lunch periods on 9/15 and 9/29. We will also sell merchandise at Back-to-School Night on 9/27. Don't forget to order your class shirt! Forms are in the main office and need to be turned in no later than 9/27. This is your only opportunity to purchase the class shirt this year. Cash, check and credit card are all accepted for apparel puchases.
- Support Sunset when you shop at Amazon. Access Amazon.com through https://smile.amazon.com/, choose SHS as your charitable organization, and then when you purchase items, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to Sunset High School PTO. Your Amazon shopping experience will be exactly the same and the SHS PTO will earn money to continue to help the school. Bookmark the link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/93-0868697 and support SHS every time you shop.
Sunset High School, 13840 NW Cornell Road, Portland, OR 97229
Main: (503) 356-2960
24-hour Attendance Hotline: (503) 356-2961
Student-run social media:
@shs_apollos on Instagram and Twitter, www.facebook.com/Sunset.Apollos
-- managed by the Digital Marketing Team
@theapolloybk (yearbook), @humansofsunset on Instagram -- managed by Yearbook Staff
Sunset HS Parent Teacher Organization:
http://sunsetpto.com/ and "Sunset High School PTO" on Facebook